Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It's Apple Time

Now that the weather is turning as crisp as a bowl of fresh apples, my thoughts turn to the Holidays. I break out the worn recipe box with its collection of stained and tattered 4 by 6 cards. Someday, I promise myself, I will re-do these cards before they become completely illegible. I have started to put my favorites into a computer cookbook program that I have. The program even gives the calorie count, fat content and other nutritional information. Sometimes that isn't such a good thing. Yikes!!! My favorite pasta shrimp in cream sauce dish has 1500 calories a serving, and I can't just stop at one serving. Put that on a list of things I didn't want to know.

This is one of my favorite apple pies. I don’t remember where I got the recipe but I do know I’ve had it for at least 10 years. Single crust Cranberry Apple Pie. Colorful and tasty. Enjoy.


Cranberry Apple Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baking Desserts
Fruit

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
CRUST
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter -- cubed
3 tablespoons ice water

FILLING
1 1/2 pounds granny Smith apple
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons melted butter
1 large egg

Make crust as usual pie crust. Wrap in plastic and chill. Roll out and shape into a pie pan. Chill again. Bake at 400 filled with pie weights 15 minutes. Remove weights and bake 10 minutes more. Cool completely

Peel and chop apples into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Mix apples, cranberries, 1 cup of the sugar and 2 tbsp flour and cinnamon. Place into prepared pie shell. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Whisk melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar, beaten egg, and 2 tbsp flour. Pour over filling. Bake 1 hour longer. Cool completely before serving


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 354 Calories; 17g Fat (42.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 245mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

No comments:

Post a Comment